Port of Felixstowe Operational Update
The Port of Felixstowe, like other major container ports worldwide, is still experiencing high container volumes and dealing with the consequences of the ongoing Covid pandemic. The current high volumes are expected to last well into Q1 We are working hard to minimise the impact on daily operations and to maintain vital supply chains. The latest update on the current situation is as follows:
- The port is fully operational. In the week to 24.01.2021, we handled 60,637 TEU across the quay, 17,955 TEU to/from rail, and 27,628 containers to/from road vehicles
- 95% of import containers are available for collection within 10 minutes of discharge from the vessel
- We are increasing resource, 140 new employees including 104 additional equipment drivers and 12 of engineers are being recruited and trained, although the latest lockdown makes this challenging to do safely.
- Onsite private Covid testing continues and has been upgraded to provide rapid testing for the benefit of employees and household members but which also maximises labour availability
- Both container terminals are now open on Sundays for road collections/deliveries. Shipside operations remain 24/7
- Each shipping line has an agreed empty storage capacity. The receipt of empty containers is managed on a line-by-line basis. If a line exceeds its empty storage capacity, receipt of empty containers for that line are temporarily suspended until sufficient empties are removed. Empty containers are currently being received for all customers
- In the week to 24.01.2021, there were 4,558 VBS slots available every weekday
- In the week to 24.01.2021, a total of 26,331 VBS bookings were available of which 7,031 went unused (3,487 at Trinity, 3,544 at Berths 8&9). More information is available here.
- There are fewer VBS bookings 06:00-07:00 and 18:00-19:00 in order to clean machinery at shift changeover. The protection of our employees and port users remains our No.1 priority
- In the week to 24.01.2021, the average turnaround times for hauliers were 40.26 minutes at Trinity Terminal and 35.60 minutes at Berths 8&9.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding
24 January 2021